1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

LifeLock Lawsuit

By March 17, 2010

Earlier this month, LifeLock® agreed to pay $11 million in restitution to customers for misleading advertising. They will also pay $1 million in legal costs to 35 states involved in the suit.

LifeLock is well know for posting CEO Todd Davis' social security number on the sides of trucks, the Internet and other advertisements. This public display has resulted in at least one successful identity theft attempt against Mr. Davis.

At the heart of the class action suit was LifeLock's claim that it protects against all types of identity theft and constantly monitors access to each of its customers consumer reports.

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli stated,

Identity theft continues to be one of the fastest growing crimes in the United States. Although we welcome any business that offers services to help consumers prevent becoming victims of this crime, we have concerns when any business does not provide its potential customers with accurate information about its product. In our free market economy, requiring all businesses to provide truthful and accurate information is necessary for a level-playing field among competitors.

Virginia was one of 35 states which, along with the Federal Trade Commission, joined in the suit against LifeLock.

So what can you do to protect your identity?

• Place a free fraud alert on your credit report with the three major credit reporting agencies. (TransUnion, Experian and Equifax).
  • Check your credit report regularly. (Each of the credit reporting agencies are required to provide you with one free report per year, so that's three free reports. Space your requests evenly, and you can do a pretty thorough job of self-monitoring).
  • Keep a close eye on bank and credit card statements
  • Check in regularly with Jake Stroup's Identity Theft site.
  • Never post your social security number on the side of a truck.

Comments

March 23, 2010 at 9:39 am
(1) Paige says:

How do I go about getting involved in this class action lawsuit? My identity was stolen and I’ve had Lifelock for a number of years and they did NOTHING to aid in this situation.

March 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm
(2) William Deutsch says:

Paige – contact the Office of the Attorney General for your state and find out if they participated in the suit. I don’t know if you can join the suit as a plaintiff at this point, but the OAG would be the place to start.

March 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(3) Mike says:

They may not steal your whole identity, but they can sure do some damage with a credit card #! thankfully, my credit card has a policy protecting against such theft. Good to check if your does too :)

May 12, 2010 at 6:02 pm
(4) Dan says:

There are several companies making identity theft protection promises, how many protect and restore your identity from all 6 areas of Identity theft? Answer (1)

May 3, 2011 at 11:34 am
(5) Laura says:

So, who is this one company you speak of?

July 9, 2010 at 3:55 pm
(6) ara says:

i want to know how long does it take for someone to respond on when they going to settle the law suit againt life check i was with themm for several years. sunt off paperwork. but i havent heard anything back from them.

July 9, 2010 at 6:15 pm
(7) William Deutsch says:

Ara,
The lawsuit referenced in this article was filed by the states. I believe you would need to have been a part of this from the beginning.

November 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm
(8) Dawna says:

I just received my check from the FTC/lifelock suit. wow am I rich! 10.37 Ive had life lock for 4 years and so far my ID is in tact. didn’t even know about the suit to be honest.

November 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm
(9) JO says:

WELL YOUR LUCKY DAWNA.I HAD ID THEFT AND THEY STOLE ABOUT 10,000. WE ALL HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS IN HIGHER PREMIUMS, DONT THINK EVERYONE ISNT AFFECTED.

December 5, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(10) Mama Grizzly AZ says:

Dawna, you were ripped off. My check was $10.87!

With that said, this whole law suit was a shakedown of monumental proportions. The lawyers got the biggest chunk of the money and the FTC/State AG’s were complicit in this. I got LL about 2 years ago when my wallet was stolen with all my info in it. To date, no identity compromise has occured. And earlier this year, I got new cell phone service with another company and by the time I got home,
LL had emailed me with an alert that this entity had enquired into my credit report. I think I will stay with them.

February 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm
(11) pulekha says:

Identity theft has become a major, major problem! And living without protection is like living in a crime infested neighborhood and not having protection on your home. You would probably at least have a really good guard dog and a fence right? Well, not protecting your identity today is the equivalent of living in that neighborhood and refusing to even lock your door. Itís so sad that itís come to this, but there are always tradeoffs in life. Because we want better medical coverage and a nicer car we pay more to protect and insure them.
Likewise, with something as amazing as the World Wide Web there come tradeoffs also. One tradeoff for us having access to almost everything is that others have access to almost everything about us, our information. And that includes our personal information like social security numbers, banking information and even your medical and criminal history.
Luckily there is a lot of information out to help us understand and protect ourselves from these heartless criminals. Here is an informational website put together to help you and your family. We hope you find it helpful. Identity theft

January 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm
(12) Other Dan says:

For anyone taking a look at this, I work for LegalShield and we are partnered with Kroll Inc. Our identity theft is the most comprehensive as listed on http://www.thewholeskinny.com which shows coverages of ID Theft Protection companies. We are number one on that list, but it shows our old logo/name which was pre-paid legal. It also says our service is 36.95 but that is with our Legal Insurance. The identity theft protection is something like 13$ and 1$ more to add up to 4 kids under the protection. This covers your spouse as well. Take a look though.

March 6, 2012 at 3:59 am
(13) jakarta hotel says:

I absolutely love reading this article, the manner of writing is outstanding.This post as usual was instructive, I have had to bookmark your website and subscribe to this feed in googlereader. this site looks impressive.
rumah dijual

August 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm
(14) Verdell Germany says:

I wonder why lifelock after being sued for 12 million dollars only sent a few dollars to me. After they used my nae to advertise about identity theft. somebody is really crooked and I feel I should have gotten more money.